Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Christmas Spirit

Let me start by saying finals are rough. Even when I think I'm going to be super motivated and want to study for hours it somehow doesn't quite happen. Which is unfortunate because it's made enjoying the gorgeous snow that we've had a little bit difficult. Yes, finals are easier than midterms in that I don't have to go to class at the same time and that people understand when I have to say no to things better, but there's really no true escape from finals... or so I thought.

I have the pleasure of working at the New Haven residential treatment center as a PE Teacher. Now some mornings are harder than others, but honestly who really wants to get up and work out at 7:30 in the morning? I don't hold it against my girls at all that they don't always want to be there, but it sometimes makes my relationships with them interesting (I'm not sure anyone's their best at that hour...). Between school and lacrosse and living half an hour away from where the girls do, I don't get to see them outside of class too much.

Today I got to go ice skating with them. I should probably admit to the fact that I'm not nearly as coordinated as I should be for being a PE teacher, and skating does not come naturally to me. I had girls skating in circles around me almost the whole time. Then I got to watch while the girls did a gift exchange with the staff that's with them almost the whole time. It was so fun to see the little things that they got so excited about.

In the two hours that I spent with them I saw more of the Christmas Spirit than I have in a while. It was incredible to watch them help each other gain confidence in their skating, while they danced, or even just connected more with the people around them. I caught myself just watching them multiple times as they'd grab another girls' hand as they skated by to include her in the group and helped someone get up after they fell on the ice. The generosity and thoughtfulness of the girls in their gift giving was incredible. I was so impressed. At the end of the gift exchange I was getting up to leave with everyone else and was kinda distracted (even though I couldn't tell you by what). One of the girls came up to me, put something in my hand, gave me a hug and wished me a Merry Christmas. As I looked down I realized she had opened up her own gift and had given me part of it. I was blown away by her attention to the things going on around her and the kindness she showed in sharing with me. It wasn't expected of her to do anything like that and definitely wasn't necessary - which made it that much better. 

Along with the rest of my girls, she was such a great example of what the Christmas season is and what it should be all about.  

I love my job. 

I love my girls.

I love the Christmas season.

I love seeing Christmas Spirit in the least expected ways.

I want to challenge you to surprise someone with the Christmas Spirit and share any cool experiences you have, I promise to do the same. Merry Christmas everyone! 

1 comment:

  1. Jord! I absolutely love this. I'm so glad you love your job so much.

    ReplyDelete